This article was published in BRS Newsletter 210 17th August 2001
There are some proposals today to open a halt at Sunninghill, however these ideas are not new.
The first request was in March 1909 when the LSWR refused to build a station.
A file at the Public Records Office, Kew, (Rail 1188/322) reveals that in 1928 the Southern Railway was approached by local people to open a halt at High Street bridge. A petition was drawn up, which is in the file, and a plan was prepared. This shows two 500ft platforms in the cutting on the Ascot side of the bridge, reached by steps from the road. Each platform had a small booking office and waiting room. The estimated cost was £3,200. In early 1930 the SR officers inspected the site and decided not to proceed because the area was not sufficiently developed.
A further request in 1937 (inspired by the plans for electric trains) was also declined.
Finally, in 1948 BR Southern Region were approached but again refused, the cost was now put at £6-7,000 and most people worked locally. The Thames Valley Traction Co. ran a half hourly bus service through the village from Sunningdale to Ascot (now there are 6 per day) which took all the traffic.